Tuesday 16 May 2023

F.R.I.E.N.D.S with 6 little dots and all that

 I remember the days when I eagerly devoured series after series on my laptop and hoarded more movies than I could watch in a good decade. It had reached a point where even the boot screen would take an agonizing fifteen minutes to load – forget the home page. One could take a brisk walk, come back home and, off-key sing four whole songs behind the safety of the shower curtain, wolf down an entire pack of chips (some people do this and deserve not to be judged) and lick clean all their fingers one-by-one (again, one should not be judged for what they do when they think no one is watching them) and then come to find my laptop's home page huff, puff, pant, and wheeze into the last bit of loading.

“Game of Thrones” was all the rage in those days, and so were “How I Met Your Mother” and “Flash” and “Supernatural” and “Arrow” and “Sherlock” and a whole lot of other shows that we had to painfully scour a compatible subtitle file for. Every file was deleted promptly after a single viewing to make room for the next torrent download that was also destined to vanish into the vast digital abyss.

Amidst this digital chaos, there remained one folder in my laptop that stood untouched. No matter how many times the OS threw the Low Disk Space window in my face, begging me and sometimes even threatening me to “Manage” my space. (I was a true Engineer and was not cut out to “manage” things. Pffft.) That sacred folder bore the name 'F.R.I.E.N.D.S,' for it was, in fact my own collection of every single episode of the sitcom F.R.I.E.N.D.S. I wanted my unwavering devotion to the show to be evident, even in matters as trivial as the folder name. Even if it meant typing out 6 extra little dots and having the CAPS lock on and all that.

Many times, I had to make difficult choices between a series and a movie, as my laptop would let me have only either. While I honed the art of deliberation and careful consideration in making important entertainment choices (which subsequently felt like life choices), I continued to let my cherished F.R.I.E.N.D.S take up all the space it desired. If memory allocation had been within my control, I would have gladly granted a few extra bytes to that folder, just for the heck of it.

But was I being an evil stepmother to the rest of the movies and series? No! I regarded this dear little folder as my ultimate source of solace and stress relief. It acted as my personal sanctuary, my sanity-restorer. My own hip flask of Endorphin. I could play just about any episode of any season at any point in the day (or night) and still find it relevant and soothing like the consoling shoulder of a best friend.

The best part is that even though every one of those 6 characters could have been very successful in their lives, they fumbled and floundered their way through life like very real people. At the end of an exhausting day, we didn’t have to begrudgingly watch the extravagant life of a multi-star Michelin chef or a millionaire Hollywood actor or an impeccably dressed fashion icon. We could instead laugh, sigh, cringe, cry and live life in the company of a struggling actor who smelled fart, a boring professor who was very particular about his sandwiches or even a singing masseuse who carried the children of her own brother.

For more than one reason, this show invoked powerful emotions in me and it continues to do so. Because I know that if those 6 could get around to being happy for ten whole years on the screen, I can too, off the screen. If they could get over heartbreaks and failed marriages and childlessness and career struggles and so much more just because they had amazing people with and for them, then so can I. Because even though it hasn’t been my day or my week or my month or even my year and I’ve had a million struggles of my own in my life, I have a million and one reasons to live through them. I have my husband, my son, my brother, my sisters(in-law), my parents, my family, my extended family, and my own F.R.I.E.N.D.S (like the Australian Mahima and Hyderabadi Nireekshana who bully me into mentioning their names in my blogs) who have been and will be “there for me”.

Thank you, Marta Kauffman and David Crane for redefining sitcom. For redefining happiness. For redefining 'break'. And for defining Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Battle of the Board - Behind the Scenes

Ding Liren, Vishy Anand, Vidit Gujrathi, Praggnanandhaa, and I – what do we all have in common? Rain or shine, we regularly attend chess tou...